Garlicky, buttery and chilli shrimps on sourdough avocado toast. What’s not to like?
I’ve wanted to do a shrimp avocado toast recipe for a while now. So when my friend posted a pic of Hawaiian garlic shrimps from a food truck, I had the perfect inspiration. Tradition Hawaiian garlic shrimps have the shell left on and are served with rice. You’ll get a ton of flavour doing that, but I didn’t want to have to deal with shells on my avo toast 🙂
If you don’t have shrimps, prawns can certainly be used instead. Whichever you use, be sure to devein them; not just because veins are the digestive tract filled with ‘dirt’, they will make your cooked shrimps crunchy and ruin the flavour. If you buy peeled shrimp they may well already have been deveined.Print
Garlic Shrimp Avocado Toast
Garlicky, buttery and chilli shrimps on sourdough avocado toast. What's not to like?
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 slice sourdough
- 1 avocado
- 150 g peeled and deveined shrimps (or sub for prawns)
- 1 tbsp mochiko rice flour (or regular flour)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Mash your avocado in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt and juice of half the lemon. Set aside.
- Pat the shrimp dry.
- In a bowl combine the flour, paprika, cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt. Add the shrimp to this bowl and set aside.
- Bring a pan to a medium heat and add the butter. Once melted add the minced garlic and cook until golden brown, which will take around 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl and set aside.
- Get your bread toasted.
- Without cleaning the pan, get it back on a medium high heat. Add the olive oil and then the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until they have some nice colour.
- Add the garlic back in to the bowl and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Butter your toast, top that with the smashed avocado and then the shrimp. Season with a bit of black pepper if you fancy it and serve with a slice of lemon.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes