Sweet potato cookies make for a nourishing treat. This recipe makes 10 cookies, which is easily enough for you and the whole family. Whether you want them as a dessert, or a snack on the go, these hit the spot every time.
It’s time to treat yourself to these sweet potato cookies!
Just as sweet potatoes are coming into season, I dreamt about these cookies. Did you know sweet potatoes are one of the most nourishing foods?
I’m quite into following my dreams, so I was excited to make them a reality.
I’m so glad I did. I know sweet potato isn’t perhaps the first ingredient you’d think to base cookies on, but it works.
It took probably 4 or 5 versions – all of which were good and got eaten, I assure you – until I settled on this version.
They are quite a ‘cakey’ cookie; soft with a little bit of a crust if you get the cooking time just right (just follow the recipe).
How to make sweet potato cookies
Refer to the full recipe below for the complete instructions, but here’s a rundown:
- You’re going to whip up the sweet potato cookie batter in a food processor, leaving out the chocolate chip cookies.
You make these extra autumnal you could add some pumpkin pie spice too. I’d say 2 teaspoons would do it.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in your chocolate chip cookies.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to get 10 equal portions on to some baking parchment.
- Press them down gently with your fingers before baking.
Your portioned out sweet potato cookie batter should look like this before pressing down.
This is what they’ll look like after pressing down. They don’t expand a whole lot when cooking, so they can be quite close together before going in.
Once they’ve come out of the oven, let them cool for a while, but do yourself a favour and eat at least one whilst they’re still warm.Print
- 250 g sweet potato
- 100 g ground almonds
- 50g g almond flour
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 egg
- 80 g coconut butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- Peheat oven to 175c (350F).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small cubes. Place in a food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients to the food processor, apart from the chocolate chips.
- Grind until everything is broken down into a dough.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Cover a cookie tray in baking parchment.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to portion out the cookies onto the sheet. You can use a spoon or small cup measure if you don't have an ice-cream scoop.
- Lightly press down on the cookies to get the desired thickness.
- Cook in the oven at 175C (350C) for 30 to 35 minutes, depending on how firm you want them.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: paleo, vegetarian, whole30
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 34
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 16
Keywords: healthy snack recipes, sweet potato cookies