For the chicken
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tallow
- 1 brown onion
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
For the mash
- 350g sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g butter
- 2 tsp salt
- Get the chicken thighs in a medium bowl and juice over the lemon. Add the salt and pepper.
- Bring a pan to a medium high heat and add the tallow. You can also use olive oil and a knob of butter.
- Place the chicken thighs in the pan, skin side down.
- Sear for a few minutes until they have some good colour, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Turn down the heat of your pan a little. Dice your onion and cook for a few minutes in the pan.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- Spoon the onions over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Set to cook for 4 hours on low.
- When you’re ready to eat, boil a pot of water and add the sweet potato. Cook for 10 minutes or until soft enough to mash.
- Add the butter and salt (and a little pepper if you like) and mash.
- Serve two thighs each with half the sweet potato mash each. Make sure you get the juices and all of the onions from the slow cooker.
- I use tallow to brown the meat since it will give a wonderful colour and flavour, but you can use any other animal fat, or a little olive oil and butter.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Easy dinner
- Method: Slow cooker
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe
- Calories: 987
- Sugar: 12.3 g
- Sodium: 4079.3 mg
- Fat: 62.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.1 g
- Protein: 65 g
- Cholesterol: 393 mg
Keywords: Slow cooked lemon chicken balsamic onions sweet potato mash