For the chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 50g harissa paste
For the avocado toast
- 2 slices sourdough
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 75g feta cheese
- 1/2 a lemon
- Chilli oil
- Chilli flakes
- Rocket leaves or sunflower greens
- Pickled red onions
- Lay the chicken breasts flat on your chopping board and carefully cut in half lengthways.
- In a container, thoroughly rub the chicken with the harissa paste. Cover and leave in the fridge for 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Fire up the grill pan and when it’s medium high, get the chicken breast in.
- If you’re using a lemon, cut into quarters and place in the pan to grill and caramelise.
- When you have enough colour on one side of the chicken, turn them over. Do the same with the lemon.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, get your bread on to toast. Then get your avocado mashed in a bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Remove your chicken and lemon from the pan.
- To plate up, sourdough on the plate, butter it if you’d like, followed by the smashed avocado, then chicken. If using, top with crumbled feta, chilli oil/flakes, pickled onions and black pepper. Sunflower greens or arugula look great on the side with the grilled lemon.
- Make sure your pan is well oiled and the chicken has oil all over from the harissa paste, so it doesn’t stick in the grill pan.
- You want the grill pan hot enough to leave those grill marks, but not so hot it causes the chicken to stick.
- I recommend getting a simple probe thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken is 74C (165F).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinating Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: harissa chicken breast