Sweet potato hash browns won’t come out as crispy as white potato hash browns (because we’re not deep frying them), but they’re in a league of their own for taste. And by using duck fat you can still get a really fantastic texture inside and out.
In this recipe I’m topping them with some smashed avocado, poached eggs and a simple salsa. It’s a sublime combo that I highly recommend you try.Print
- 500 g sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 tbsp duck fat (or pork, goose or beef)
- 1 Pinch black pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs (for poaching)
- Preheat your oven to 200C (390F).
- Peel & grate the sweet potatoes then rinse them thoroughly in water to remove the starch.
- Strain the potato through a towel, removing as much of the water as possible.
- Bring 2 tbsp of the fat to a medium high heat in a frying pan
- Add the potato and 1/2 tsp salt to the pan and cook for a few minutes to soften and sweat off the water. Let it cool, moving around as it cools to the steam can escape.
- In a bowl whisk your egg, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chipotle, salt & pepper. Add the potato and combine.
- Form into 4 hash browns.
- Heat the the remaining 3 tbsp fat in a pan to a high heat.
- Place your patties in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning to get the outside evenly crispy. Turn a few times if you need to check to make sure they're not burning. They will colour very quickly if the heat is too high.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cook in in preheated oven at 200C (390F0 for a further 15 minutes.
- Smash all the avocado ingredients together in a bowl.
- Deseed the tomato and jalapeno and dice small. Put these in a bowl and add the lime juice, finely chopped coriander and salt. Mix and set to one side.
- Just before you’re ready to serve poach your eggs.
- To assemble put two hash browns on a plate, top with smashed avocado, then the poached eggs and then the salsa. I also like to whack some chilli sauce on there.