What the heck is protein rice?
Instead of water I use beef or chicken bone broth to make this rice, so not only is it light, fluffy and perfectly cooked, you’re getting the benefit of collagen, gelatin, amino acids, vitamins & minerals.
In this video I’ll show you how to make an aromatic version on the stove. I’ll also show you how to do this in an Instant Pot.Print
- 300 g basmati rice
- 450 ml bone broth
- 3 cardamom
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Rinse off dust and starch from the rice with cold water (stops it clumping in the pan and allows it to become light and fluffy). Transfer to a medium size saucepan, dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Pierce the cardamom and empty out into the pan with the rice, including the cases. Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Put the lid on the pan and bring to the boil as quickly as possible.
- Once it's boiling turn it right down and leave the lid on for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not take off that lid, because the steam created is going to cook the rice.
- Remove the lid and you'll have beautiful, fluffy aromatic rice.
- Take out the cardamom and star anise.
- Run a fork through to make it nice and light and fluffy.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 419
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 6